Old January 9th 06, 01:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Got my TG-33 amplified M.W. loop antenna today!

An untuned air core loop like the Wellbrook works well beyond the
shortwave band.

I can see someone getting twice as many AM BCB stations with a loop
antenna since they have good nulls. The stations were probably there
all along, but unlistenable due to multiple stations on the same
frequency. Put the offending station in the null and you get a new
signal.

In some locations of the bay area, you can hear two TIS on the same
frequency. With the wellbrook, you can null one to hear the other. Er,
not that you really need to hear those things. I can listen to those
TIS for about 25 miles in the daytime with the Wellbrook. I've posted
this before, but this is a recording of the LAX TIS that I did from
central Nevada, about 90 miles north of Las Vegas.
http://www.lazygranch.com/sound/lax_530_etgravel.wav

Telamon wrote:
In article et,
"Jim Hackett" wrote:

I only had about an hour to play with it but in a word, I would say WOW! I
used my DE-1103 to obtain the results. I tuned from 520-1710 counting all
the stations I could understand. Here are my initial results:

Without the TG-33 I received 45 stations here in San Jose.
Using the TG-33 inductively coupled to the 1103 I received 96 different
stations. That is more than DOUBLE! I haven't done any other kind of
testing yet. I will do more tomorrow.

I have a Radio Shack passive loop that I thought worked pretty well but this
is MUCH better. With the appx. 15 ft. cable you can get the antenna high up
in the air. The only thing it lacks is a way to attach it to the radio. I
used a small stick-on Velcro fastener to accomplish this. Maybe Degen will
include this later. I don't know how much this unit will cost but I would
suspect that it would be comparable to their shortwave loop antenna but I'm
only guessing.

Small amplified loop antennas are the way to go for medium wave and at
least the lower SW bands where local noise competes more with signals.

For the same reason they should be better for LW.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California