Old January 9th 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Jim Hackett

Default Help a newbie.

The R-75 is the replacement for the R-71. It is quite a nice rig. I have
one and enjoy it very much...

"Egon" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all,

I am interested in getting a simple analog rig for home. I have used a
friends ICOM IC-R71A quite a bit and really enjoy just dinking around,
searching frequencies for something interesting. I'd love to pick up a
used R71A, but there don't seem to be to many around. I am also
concerned about longevity, parts, etc. Is there a new unit that would
be good for a starter kit (read not too expensive) that is as simple to
operate as the R71A? Should I just not be concerned and pick up a used
R71A? Also, can someone recommend a good (easy to understand)
beginners book that deals with antennae (long-wire, directional, etc.)
and tech. behind pulling in traffic?

Thank you very much for any information that you can provide, and I
appreciate your patience.

V/r
Egon