Old January 9th 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
jawod

Default Any experience with the G5RV multiband wire antenna?

F4DRH wrote:
Hi John,

The "Center Feeded Dipole" (feeding with twin-leads) would give you better
performances and no TVI.

But if you prefer the G5RV do not use any balun (with magnetic stuff). In
somme cases, baluns brings losses (if high SWR on the line). You may find
many people that will say that their G5RV works perfectly well with a balun
.... they are lucky !!!
It is better to connect the coax directly to your antenna tuner.

Good luck

Jean-Marc
F4DRH
www.barbaxoops.com

"jawod" a écrit dans le message de news:

The G5RV antenna can be found by googling. Anyone using this arrangement.
It uses a coax feed to balanced feed (which variously acts as radiating
elements, depending on the band). The author says a balun is not needed
but then describes an RF choke that sounds a lot like a balun. I am also
concerned about TVI with this system.

John

Thanks to all for advice!

It seems likely that, as I re-enter ham radio, I will be using a rig
with an SO-239 plug as an output. The unit I am considering has an
internal ATU. So, it would appear likely that SOME coax will be used.
I've read articles that indicate a simple PVC pipe wound with 20 or so
turns of coax is sufficient for a coax to dipole configuration.

I guess I am trying to have a multiband dipole antenna that uses the
low-loss ladder line as part of the antenna on some bands. This seems
consistent with the G5RV.

Any thoughts on other designs to accomplish this? Many articles seem to
steer clear of series traps in the dipole. I must have TVI as a high
potential concern..

Anyway THANKS!

Jean-Marc: nice antenna system...your twin lead looks like coax...is it?

john