Old January 10th 06, 11:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Winfield Hill

Default Zener Noise (was: 1N4007 varactors)

RST Engineering wrote...

Roy ...

I've been playing around (ahem, excuse me, heuristically engineering) with
zener noise sources for a while using the same spectrum analyzer trick and
as yet I haven't been able to make the noise as "flat" across the passband
as I'd like. I've tried varying the bias, the voltage, and a few other
tricks, but as yet, no joy.

Can you shed some light on what you've found to make the noise power/voltage
fairly level across the band?

Good zener noise sources are carefully bred and tested, they
do _not_ come naturally from garden-variety zener diodes. I
suggest you go read the hundred or so messages in the famous
zener oscillation thread a few years back here on s.e.d. In
this you'll learn of my substantial investigations into the
topic, some physics - and, very important, learn what a zener
microplasma is. You'll see my ASCII waveform plots of actual
bench measurements showing exactly what's going on. After all
this you may decide to avoid using zener diodes for calibrated
noise sources. Sorry about that!

--
Thanks,
- Win