Old January 10th 06, 11:29 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
DrDeath

Default balun

"Chad Wahls" wrote in message

"DrDeath" wrote in message
I am trying to build a balun. I chose the one on this web site as I like
the design
http://www.hamuniverse.com/balun.html
It states that, and I quote
"The number of turns is not critical because the inductance depends more
on the length of the wire (coax) than on the number of turns, which will
vary depending on the diameter of the plastic pipe that is used."
But it does not give the formula. It just says 18 to 21 feet.
I plan to use 4 inch pvc and I want to cover as much of the upper 11
meters as I can. Am I better off at 18 or 21 feet?

I built one and it does a great job of keeping feedline currents down, no
more RF in the shack. Iwas having problems regardless of grounding.
Here's some pics. If you want inside detail I have pics of that too.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...f/HPIM1678.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...f/HPIM1676.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...f/HPIM1666.jpg

Chad

That's pretty much what I am going for. Sweet setup. The best part is I have
everything I need to build it laying around the house.