Old January 11th 06, 01:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Winfield Hill

Default Zener Noise (was: 1N4007 varactors)

Winfield Hill wrote...

JeffM wrote...

Winfield Hill wrote...

...the famous zener oscillation thread a few years back
...my ASCII waveform plots of actual bench measurements
showing exactly what's going on.

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.e...lation&f wc=1

That's one thread, perhaps the first in a series. That thread
doesn't have the waveforms I was referring to (although there
are some waveforms in posts 51 and 66). Tony, Bill, Roy and I,
and some others here wasted masses of time on this subject over
a period of a few months, eight and a half years ago. We took
bench measurements, did calculations, found the scientific
literature (it was a subject that occupied physicists in the
late 50s, see posts 72-76), and we did plenty of speculation.

All of which led Roy McCammon to remark (post 90), "I'd have to
say that it is the best thread this year." He said that Aug 5th,
after 3 weeks of posts, and yet the followup threads in Aug and
Sept on the same topic were just as long, and perhaps even more
interesting. Ah, those were that days!

--
Thanks,
- Win