Old January 12th 06, 11:32 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Michael Thorpe

Default Measuring filter shape factor

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 21:23:09 GMT, "Dale Parfitt"
wrote:

"Michael Thorpe" wrote in message
Amongst all these political propaganda posts, I wonder if there is a
little room for a technical question related to radio please?

If so, here goes:

How does one measure the IF filter shape factor in a shortwave radio?

I am technically minded and do have a signal generator, etc., but I am
not sure of the exact procedure. Do I get the audio level at the peak
frequency, then detune both sides off the peak for -3dB of the
demodulated audio, note down the width between these points, then
detune to obtain for -50dB of the demodulated audio, get the width at
these points, and then the ratio of the two widths is the filter shape
factor?

I would appreciate a link to the exact procedure if there is one
(don't seem to be able to find this in Google) or an expert advice
please.

I would also appreciate advice as to what actual values of filter
shape are considered poor, good, excellent, etc...

Thanks in advance,
Michael

Hi Michael,

Although I have never given it much thought, I don't believe one can fully
characterize a filter while it is installed in the receiver- certainly,
parameters such as insertion loss would not be easily measurable. Perhaps
programs like Spectran may give some rough insight.
My method is classic- the filter is removed, properly terminated and
connected as the DUT on a scalar network analyzer.
If you have a vector network analyzer available you could also observe group
delay- an important factor in narrow filters.
See Paul Kiciak's (N2PK) site for his clever VNA- ideally suited for
filters.
Dale W4OP

Thanks, Dale, for your input. I would have no problems measuring
filters when taken out of a receiver. But this is not always possible,
for example with modern DSP software-defined receivers. There you have
no choice, the filter is no longer just a component you can desolder,
so you do need to measure the entire receiver. Parameters such as
insertion loss is immaterial in such cases - all that matters is the
filter shape.

Michael