Old January 12th 06, 11:43 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Michael Thorpe

Default Measuring filter shape factor

On 11 Jan 2006 14:14:01 -0800, wrote:

http://www.lazygranch.com/images/radio/cwfilter.gif
I did this test as follows:
1) radio in AM
2) AGC turned off
3) RF generator connector to antenna input
4) distortion analyzer connected to earphone output

Pick a frequency. I used 10Mhz. Set the RF generator and radio to that
frequency. Leave the radio dial alone. Sweep the RF generator manually
and measure the audio level from the distortion analyser. Plot the
results. This was a crystal filter, so you will need a RF generator
with 1Hz steps.

This is an in-situ measurement, i.e. this is not the same as just
testing the IF filter by itself. You need the distortion analyzer to
get the audio signal level independent from the noise.

Many thanks, this is interesting. What I am still unsure about is how
you determine the -6dB and -60dB points using the distortion analyzer:
When you say "measure the audio level", what exactly do you measure,
the audio signal fundamental (i.e. filtered at the modulation
frequency)?

So in fact you are only using the distortion analyzer to filter the
audio and to measure the level? I don't have a distortion analyzer,
but I guess I could simply use an oscilloscope or an audio spectrum
analyzer (PC sound card based).

Michael