Old January 12th 06, 02:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

Default Coax Vinyl Covering Question

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 08:08:06 -0500, "Robert11"
wrote:

Hello:

Trying to figure out how to run some coax from a Balun which will be near a
ground rod up to my second floor receiver.
For receiving only.

Lots of possibilities; some much more involved than others.

Was wondering if one can consider the vinyl coating on coax these days as
being water and snow "proof" ?

Or, it would be a bad assumption, and I better go with some buried emt type
of plastic rod buried a foot or so in the ground rather than just laying the
coax across some garden beds on the surface, etc. ?

BTW: As this is a listening only application, just how bad would it be
actually if, e.g., the coax does develop a tear and the shield beomes
earthed at that spot.

Would I even notice it ?

Thoughts on ?

Thanks,
Bob

If it's not nicked it's essentially weather proof.