Old January 12th 06, 07:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

Default Kenwood R-600

On 11 Jan 2006 18:49:10 -0800, wrote:

I was hoping to get some information on this receiver if anyone can
help.

Currently I have an R-1000 which is great for my needs, except for the
speaker being on the top instead of front-firing. I like the fact that
it's analog tuning yet has a digital frequency counter (I don't care
about entering frequencies like on digital synthesized receivers).
Occasionally I run it through my small stereo amp into a nice pair of
bookshelf speakers and the audio is terrific with the wide 12 kHz
filter (not too bad with the narrow 6 kHz, either), but mainly use it
for bedside listening to shortwave.

I'd like a receiver with a front-firing speaker for my bedside, and was
wondering how the '600 matched up to the '1000. I do know that it came
out later, is it also anaolg tuning with the frequency counter, minus
the analog display? How is the audio compared to the '1000, run
through a stereo system? I'd probably swap the stock 6 kHz filter for
something a bit wider to improve fidelity. How much attenuation of the
signal does it give you when you use that function?

I'm not too worried about what I'd lose in dynamic range, etc. since
I'd only use a modest antenna to listen to the BBC and such major
broadcasters.

Thanks for any help!

Take one of those Big Gulp cups from 7-11, cut it in half the long way
and put a half on top of the radio to force the sound to the front.