Old April 19th 04, 11:09 AM
John

John Hi, I'd like to join the APRS network via my T-Mobile cell phone
John which offers unlimited "internet access". I put Internet in
John quotes because only certain ports are allowed out. Port 80 is
John one of those ports.

This is probably because they do some magical stuff between your phone
and their Internet connection. I expect the software they run does
everything from shrink images to blocking unusual data like yours.

As far as I can tell all traffic is allowed on the open ports. I've
set up an SSH server on one of the open ports and I can ssh over the
link. It works fairly well.

If the APRS software was socks-aware, I could use ssh (which has a
built-in socks server) to allow APRS to reach the Internet through my
home connection. I don't think WinAPRS supports socks?

John Is there anyway that I can report and receive APRS data via the
John Internet using Port 80 instead of the standard 10xxx port (I
John forget the exact number)?

If your home computer is always on the Internet and doesn't currently
have a web server running on it, there are ways to redirect traffic
such that any connection to your home computer's port 80 is redirected
to another server's port whatever, but I would not be surprised if it
didn't work due to the aforementioned magic.

I thought about this. It's a little clumsy, but still doable. Is there
a way to change the hostname that WinAPRS connects to so I can put in
my home IP?

Thanks,
John