Old January 13th 06, 09:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
wavetrapper

Default Eton E1 Recall

No doubt the safety issue is more severe than performance problems, so
I fully understand that.

Maybe "recall" isn't the right terminology to describe post-sale
corrections of known & widespread performance related problems due to
faulty design, etc. In those cases, I think the mfgr has some
obligation to make things right.

D Peter Maus wrote:
wavetrapper wrote:
Well, I think we should give Eton a little credit here. (1) They
fessed up to a problem [they did not do so with the Sat800] and (2)
they are offering make the owners whole plus provide a "premium" for
the inconvenience.

The case of Sat800 was different than the E1 recall, in that Sat 800
issues were matters of inconsistent quality, with a number of technical
bugs that were worked out on the refurb table.

The matter of E1 is a safety issue. And one that occurs with
increasing frequency across many electronic lines as battery technology
and chemistry changes. I just got a new battery in the mail, unbidden,
btw, from Delphi for my MyFi. Seems that the original battery, too, has
a bit of an overheating problem, related to a series of batteries
manufactured in China.

A similar recall was issued by Nikon for my DSLR battery, which was
also a short run Chinese issue. Overheating and potential damage or
injury, again, the case. In both cases, replacement of the battery, made
in India was the solution.

A recall for Sat 800 would have made no sense. Whereas in the case of
E1, a recall forestalls a number of potentially larger problems.