Old January 16th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Robert11

Default Lightning Arrestor Questions

Hello:

The more I read up on this subject, the more confused I get.
Have some pretty basic questions on lightning protectors, if anyone has a
spare minute or two.
Would sure apprerciate any clarifications on the following points which I am
really confused on.

Will be putting up a simple receive only antenna once it warms up a bit
around here; probably a simple Inverted-L type, most likely the PAR EFL-SWL

Have been thinking about incorporating a lightning arrestor into the antenna
system Again, this is a receive only application.

The vertical leg of the antenna will terminate in the PAR Balun, which will
be pretty close to ground level. I will have a ground bar at that point to
which
the Balun ground(s) will be connected.

From the Balun to the radio will be coax.

Looking at the Polyphaser in line coax unit (dc blocked), and also the ICE
300 series units.

Questions:

a. For either unit, is the arrestor placed between the Balun and the
antenna, or between the Balun and the radio ? Why ?

b. The Polyphaser unit apparently, when triggered, shunts the charge (only)
to the coax shield. The only path to ground would then be up to the radio,
thru the
chassis, and then to the AC power ground.

Or, I guess, possibly back the other way via the Balun's ground ? Or both ?
I would also image that the Balun's windings would probably blow too quickly
to truly shunt any pulse to its ground ?

There doesn't seem to be any separate ground lug, like the ICE units
have from their pictures.

I'm a real novice with this lightning protection stuff, so I am
probably missing something, particularly with the Polyphaser
shunting-to-the-shield-only approach which
doesn't seem too great regarding how an adequate RF ground is reached for
any
diverted strike/pulse.

What am I missing or not considering with the Polyphaser approach ?
Thoughts on ?

c. Any opinions on the Polyphaser vs. the ICE units for a receiving only
application ?

Much thanks,
Bob