Old January 16th 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Electrical Noise From House & Receive Only Antenna ?

I understnd that for VHF, most noise is vertically polarized. However,
I wonder if that is true for HF since so many noise sources are run
horizontally. Power lines, computer network cabling, etc.

Of course my solution is to go for a Wellbrook, i.e. magnetic loop
since most noise is electrical.

Dale Parfitt wrote:
"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

For a receiving only application:

Any opinions as to how far away from a house (with the normal compliment
of PC's, broadband, etc. noise producers)
the vertical leg of an inverted-L antenna should be so as not to pick up
any meaningful amounts of household electrical noise ?

I imagine that these fields diminish very, very quickly with distance ?

The reason I'm asking is that the easiest thing for me, by far, would be
to run the vertical leg up the outside of the house, perhaps on 6 inch
standoffs. The high horiz. leg would lead away from the house.

I realize that the further the better, but would 6" be "enough" ?

Any thoughts on ?

Bob

Forget about the inverted L- run the antenna as horizontal- lower noise
because it is horizontal and you'll avoid the deafening p/u from all the
appliances in the house as their major noise component is vertically
polarized.
Remember, you are dealing with MW and HF wavelengths- tyically 200 meters
long to as short as 10M: 6" is no distance at all.

Dale W4OP