Old January 17th 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
K4YZ

Default Policy Issue: Canadian Amateurs to Lose 220-222 MHz

Jeff Hermann say use it or lose it is hogwash.

Really?

How much is 220-222 used in Canada?

Will 222-225 be overcrowded because
of the loss of 220-222?

What justification can there be for hams having
5 MHz of prime VHF spectrum if those 5 MHz
aren't being fully utilized?

Hey clown,

Brian,

I'm not a "clown".

What's with the name-calling? Are you desperate for
attention? Or do you think such behavior is somehow
justified because I disproved your claim?

Considering who you were replying to, Jim, was this question
really necessary...!??!

I asked significant, relevant questions about the use
of 220-222 MHz by Canadian hams. Try answering
them - if you can.

Ooopss...Two disqualifiers there, Jim..."significant" and
"relevant".

In case you didn't know, 220-225 is not worldwide
exclusive amateur territory. If hams don't use it
enough, why shouldn't it be reassigned to
services that *will* use it?

Makes sense. (Oooops...a third disqualifier...)

why did you cut this: "and as America goes, so goes Canada."

Because it's not relevant. Also not really true in many cases.

Brain must have some of his bloodline north of the border...Or his
head south of his umbilicus....

We lost 220-222 about 15 years ago. Hardly proof of your claim.

It was on it's way out the door in the mid 70's when there was a
move against it for "Class E" CB. Other ideas won the day, but it was
hardly the "overwhelming response" from the Amateur community that was
ultimately responsible.

Canada has universal health care - USA doesn't.

The seams of that system are starting to let loose. The holes in
some of their "safety net" make the one's in ours look microscopic in
cases...At the end of the day, I am glad I work in a US ER.

Canada dropped
mandatory code testing some time back but worked out an
ingenious compromise. USA can't seem to find a consensus out
of 18 proposals.

Canada doesn't just follow everything the USA does.

But in this case, with 90% of it's industry and end-users of the
radio spectrum within a couple hours drive of a US border, it made
sense.

Steve, K4YZ