Old January 18th 06, 01:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Amos Keag

Default Amoskeag Lightning Arrestor Questions

ml wrote:

Hi

FYI, seems your email addr here dosn't work, if it's a real one

Dear Amos

i saw your post and hope you wouldn't mind if i asked you a quick
quesiton

Your Icom that was damaged, was unplugged from everything so how did
lightning 'get to it'??

I was kinda distrubed trying to figure it out
\

Ground Loop. Took time to find it though.

The Astron RS-35 power supply connects utility power neutral to the
case. It also connects the 13.8 volt return to the case. [This is
commercial common practice but is prohibited in Military Systems
design.] Although everything on the operating table was isolated from
the utility power and external antennas, everything was connected
together by coax braid, connections to the operating position common
'ground', and the 13.8 volt return.

Remember, this strike caused large area damage. Close to 50 homes
suffered some damage. Several homes took up to 6 weeks to have their
internet functioning again.

The lightning strike tripped all [ALL] ground fault interruptors in the
house. The ground loop in my system connected chassis and power returns
and coax cable together. The weak link were circuit boards in my 756 Pro
II filter and tuner. The boards VAPORIZED. Smoke all over the place.
Pungent smell, etc. That failure protected my IC-746, Kenwood TM-G707,
etc from damage. [Expensive fuse!!]

I wonder if it also protected my swimming pool pump and heater from
damage grin?