Old September 23rd 03, 06:36 PM
Richard Clark

On 23 Sep 2003 13:59:49 GMT, ojunk (G. Doughty)
wrote:

I have a 10m dipole in the attic connected to my ic718. Is it possible to tune
it to 20m using the mfj 901b that I have? Does the dipole need to be 20m
length and then tuned down or can tuners tune to a resonance higher than that
of the existing dipole. I do not have a balun on it. On 10m I have an SWR of
1:1

Thanks
73
G. Doughty
KI4BBL

Hi OM,

You would have a harder time tuning a 20M dipole to 10M. But, really,
why don't you simply try? Transmitter limited (no 20M)?

The issue of to BalUn or to not to, depends on do you suffer from not
doing it? Seems not, or you would have said so.

More wire, less wire, BalUn or no; changes are unlikely to be
observable in your day-to-day activities. If you really want a 20M
dipole in the attic (and it fits reasonably well) simply add it in
parallel (use the same drive point connections) to the one already
there (you may even be able to get rid of the tuner). 6 inches
separation between them out 10 feet and beyond will do just fine. No
Rocket surgery is required.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC