Old September 24th 03, 06:57 AM
Bob Miller

On 23 Sep 2003 13:59:49 GMT, ojunk (G. Doughty)
wrote:

I have a 10m dipole in the attic connected to my ic718. Is it possible to tune
it to 20m using the mfj 901b that I have? Does the dipole need to be 20m
length and then tuned down

Yes. Make the dipole twice as long, and then, with your tuner, you'll
be able to get a good swr from 20 meters through 10.

Bob
K5qwg

or can tuners tune to a resonance higher than that
of the existing dipole.

Cebik says a dipole needs to be at least 3/8 wavelength long on its
lowest frequency. I find 1/2 wavelength works a lot better.

I do not have a balun on it. On 10m I have an SWR of
1:1

Thanks
73
G. Doughty