Old January 20th 06, 03:48 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Brian Denley

Default Drake R8 SN?

clifto wrote:
HFguy wrote:
I tried an R8 in 1991. The sync' detector was prone to losing it's
lock when the signal faded. I decided to return the R8 and wait for
Drake to work out the bugs. I ended up getting an R8B in 1997. It
was worth the wait. The sync' on the R8B is one of the best.

Any idea what they did to the detector to make it better?

It was completely redesigned. The original was a double sided sync detector
and was used on the R8, the R8A and the older SW8. Drake came out with an
excellent sideband selectable sync detector circuit that debuted first on
the newer SW8 (1996) and then on the R8B and the SW2 (as I recall). It's
also used on the Sat800 (which is, after all, a repackaged SW8).

--
Brian Denley