Old January 20th 06, 12:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Robert11

Default Household Noise Sources ?

Hi,

Do receiving only (30 MHz on down) and presently just have a random length
wire running around attic.
Will be putting up an outside antenna once things warm up a bit.

Was wondering about household type of noise sources.

Not sure if the noise I'm picking up now is mainly from household sources
or atmospheric.
Other than turning stuff on and off, any easy way way to tell ?

Anyway, regarding household noise (other than on-off type of transients):

I imagine that the 60 Hz power stuff isn't much of a problem seeing where
most of the
listening is done.
Is this generally true, or are the higher order harmonics a problem ?

So, where is most of the noise coming from:
Is it Mainly from:

PC's
broadband cable modems
small 120 to 12 V type of wal-warts
Or,... ?

Any filters or other approaches to minimize ?

Trying to get a good understanding on this: How quickly do the fields from
these sources diminish with distance
(I would imagine very quickly, but am not sure) ?

Thanks,
Bob