Old January 22nd 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Gudmundur

Default Astron Power Supply problem

In article CNEzf.140599$WH.64582@dukeread01, says...

I've got a problem with my Astron RS-20 power supply. With no load,
it's fine, but anything above 4amps or so makes it drop way down and my
rig drops out of lock. I haven't measured it under load but the rig
works ok to 10 or 11 volts so it must be dropping below that.

I found a schematic and downloaded it, all the voltages are fairly close
to what it says on the schematic with no load, I haven't made any
measurements with a load on it. I'll pick up a headlight tomorrow to
put a load on it and make more measurements.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,
Kerry, WD5ABC

Is it just simply RF getting back into your supply and causing
havoc? Perhaps the supply is O.K.? You need at least 3 headlights
to get the supply under a load that compares to your rig. Try
more lights and see if it craps out.