Old January 22nd 06, 02:00 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Ralph Mowery

Default CTCSS/DCS

"Mikey Mike" wrote in message
Can anyone explain in plain English what this is and how to program it
into my scanner.Have a BC898T Bearcat.The owners manual is no help at
all.No pc to program it like that. TIA

The ctcss is a subaudio tone that is transmitted. There are standard tones
that range from about 80 to 250 hz. One way they are used is like in the
county I live in. There are several fire departments on each side of town.
The main dispatcher will just send out the tone to the department they want
to go to a fire. The other departments will not hear the call.

DCS works similar. It is a digital code that is sent to turn on a receiver
audio to a specific receiver or group of receivers.

You do not need or want to enable this on most scanners. That way you will
get all the calls on the frequency.