Old January 22nd 06, 06:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Larry Gauthier \(K8UT\)

Default Pulling Cable in Conduit

Jimbo,

It's going to be crowded in that conduit, so don't rely upon gravity to get
that stuff down the pipe. Three suggestions:

1. Buy a 25 foot electrician's steel snake (Home Depot, Lowe's, ...), use
this to pull the wires through; or drop a length of poly line/guy string as
a pull line. If gravity does not get the pull string through the conduit,
tie a lightweight object to the line and suck/pull with a leaf blower or
vacuum cleaner.

2. Stagger the pl-259's and open cable ends as much as possible so that this
looks like a pointed, rather than a blunt, object going through the conduit.

3. When you're pulling the wires into the conduit, do your best at the feed
point to keep the wires "straight" and not twisting into the conduit. This
takes less space and permits you to do item #4 .

3. ADD A PULL STRING IN THE CONDUIT WITH THE WIRES! So when you're all done,
three months from now, and you realize you just want to add one more little
4 conductor cable (or whatever!), you can do it without completely
dismantling the cables. {been there, done that}

--
-larry
K8UT
"jimbo" wrote in message
. ..
I am getting close to pulling some cable through a 1 1/4 inch PVC conduit
that runs about 20 feet from the third floor attic to the basement. The
contractor claims the conduit is a "straight shot" with no bends. I have
three LMR240 cables with PL259 connectors on each end. And I would also
like to pull a 450 ohm length of ladder line. (Measures about 1 inch.) And
I would like to pull at least two 16 gage insulated control wires.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, jimbo