Old January 22nd 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
wa2mze(spamless)

Default Anyone built the 6146 cw/am transmitter in the 1966 Handbook?

Jeffrey Bauman wrote:
I'm considering building the am/cw transmitter in the 1966 handbook
(probably in others, too). It runs a single 6146 in the final.

I am curious if anyone has ever built that rig. If I build it, it will
probably be with an outboard power supply, and a single switch for input /
tank band switching.

Also curious: Anyone ever homebrewed a DX-60?

Jeff
W8KZW

I built a similar rig, but it was weakly based on that design.
Mine had a 6GK6 oscillator and a 6146 final. It was built inside
a chassis with the tubes mounted on a subchassis inside. The tubes
were "sideways" and holes were drilled in the chassis-cabinet for
ventilation.

I am assuming the same transmitter was described in the 1967 HB (which
was the first HB I ever bought). You might as well leave out the
AM modulator since it will be useless today. Back in '66-'67 there
were still some people on AM (mostly on 80 and 10 meters), but today
it's completly gone. Low cost SSB xcvrs wiped out AM by the mid 1970's.

I was thinking of building a simple rig again but with a 1625 in the final.
I have about a dozen of these bottles in the junk box along with half as many
6AG7's. The crystals will be the scarce items these days (well expensive
anyway).