Old January 22nd 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Bob Miller

Default Questions - perhaps stupid ones - regarding Polyphaser Protectors

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 00:12:35 -0700, Eric F. Richards
wrote:

"junius" wrote:

So, in the last specified installation method -- "through-mount[ing]"
w/the grounding screws -- are we basically talking about the same sorta
installation as we would do with a Zap Trapper or Transitrap (i.e.
connecting the grounding wire to the device at the grounding screws)?

Sorry if this is a stupid question; would just like to confirm whether
I've got this right or not, since I'd rather not purchase something
that my present listening location would prevent me from being able to
appropriately install.

Either the Polyphaser or the I.C.E. can be connected to a ground line.

... excerpted

Bottom line: Given the same type of ground (in your case, a wire),
the Polyphasers and the I.C.E. will outperform the others.

Go ahead and use an I.C.E. or Polyphaser with a ground wire.

Well, my point was that if there is no ground nut on the Polyphaser,
there are other options that do not require going through an
expensive, bothersome-to-set-up grounding plate. The ICE device has
grounding nuts for a wire. I know other brands do, too. Whether they
are junk or not is subjective opinion.

I still say the best option, for a casual listener with limited funds,
is to simply disconnect the antenna, the ground wire and the power
line, depending on how stormy the weather is. The lightning arrestors
are pretty, and look neat, but a bolt of lightning can go through them
easily.

If an arrestor it is to be, I notice http://www/thewireman.com has the
ICE arrestors with a device to attach them directly to a ground rod.
(Good place to buy antenna stuff.)

bob
k5qwg

Eric