Old January 23rd 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Tim Shoppa

Default Anyone built the 6146 cw/am transmitter in the 1966 Handbook?

Jeffrey Bauman wrote:
I'm considering building the am/cw transmitter in the 1966 handbook
(probably in others, too). It runs a single 6146 in the final.

I am curious if anyone has ever built that rig. If I build it, it will
probably be with an outboard power supply, and a single switch for input /
tank band switching.

Not that exact rig, but I've built similar 6146 transmitters. One
gotcha with the oscillator-final setup is that you may not end up with
enough drive on 21 and 28 MHz, if those bands matter to you. The Eico
720 improves on this by using a buffer/multiplier.

I like the Eico 720 design, but a weakness is lack of VR regulation
leading to chirp (especially if you multiply up.)

The handbook transmitter doesn't include a clamping tube, so if for
some reason you have no or insufficient drive you can find your final
tube dissipating too much power and melting down. But, elsewhere in
that handbook you will find several examples of clampers.

Bandswitching and plate choke resonances are easier to deal with if you
limit yourself to 2 bands or so (say 80 and 40 or 40 and 20).

Every handbook from the late 40's up through the early 70's has a CW
transmitter rig of similar spirit, earlier ones using a 1625 or 807 or
something similar.

Tim.