Old January 23rd 06, 02:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bob Miller

Default Coax Quest. ?

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 08:32:40 -0500, "Robert11"
wrote:

Hello:

Don't have a good feeling for the significance of this:

For a receive only application, using coax from the Balun of a simple
outside antenna to the receiver,
is a loss of, e.g., 2.5 db "meaningful" ?

Specifics would be 100 feet of RG 58 at 30 MHz

Or is it worth the extra $ to go to a less lossy coax (application would
always be for receive only)

BTW: R/S Coax a decent quality ?

The last time I bought Radio Shack coax cable, the shield was so
thinly populated with wire, it was almost nonexistant.

You might try some of your local computer stores that deal with
networking installations. They frequently carry good quality coax with
brand names like Beldon. (One of my local computer stores has Beldon
RG-58U at 22 cents a foot.)

Good mail order places for coax would include Davis RF, The Wireman,
RadioWorks, Amateur Electronic Supply, HRO, etc...

bob
k5qwg

Thanks,
B.