Old January 23rd 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Tim Shoppa

Default WWV receiver

Tobin Fricke wrote:
As a project to learn more about building radio receivers, I'd like to
build a WWV receiver (or maybe a receiver for the Canadian station CHU,
since it's nearby and the format sounds easier to decode). I'm looking
for suggestions for how to design such a radio, reading material, etc.

I was thinking it might be easier to design a fixed-frequency receiver
(rather than a tunable one) because I could just select the L and C in the
resonant circuit to give the right frequency. Or, since WWV is at such
"round number" frequencies, maybe I could somehow use a crystal
oscillator?

You might look at the Ramsey electronics 10 MHz WWV receiver kit. It's
a pretty basic crystal controlled superhet/ceramic filter/AM detector
with AGC.

Tim.