Old January 24th 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Buzzygirl

Default Icom IC-R5 or Yaesu VR-120D

"Pete Boyd" wrote in message
I'm thinking of getting a new handheld scanner, mainly for listening to
shortwave stations, the amateur radio bands, CB and airband. The above two
receivers seem appropriate (and about the same prince in the UK - £140).
I don't really understand the specs as to which is most sensitive.

Anything
else I should be looking for?

I don't think you'll be able to find a truly decent performer for all of the
bands you want to hear in the size you want. These small receivers try to
do everything at once, but unfortunately, they don't do it particularly
well. Best to stick with a portable SW receiver for shortwave listening, and
get a separate scanner for the higher bands. On a positive note, there are
small portable SW receivers that work very well at a very reasonable price,
and the same goes for scanners.

Jackie