Old January 24th 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.radio.swap
Bret Ludwig

Default IFR 1200S or 500 Buy Sell Repair

It just astonishes me no one has cloned or offers third party upgrades
for these things. Like internal paging decode, an IF output, and maybe
even a LCD based replacement for the scope module. On second thought,
it isn't the scope module that gives trouble as much as the back three
spec an modules, which drift like a dead whale and generate a lot of
heat. If they could replace them with a three-chip modern _one_ with
some stability and get rid of the ECL-packed high loop they could cut
the thermal budget in half....to say nothing of battery life.

Also I'm not sure fixing old style power supplies is a good thing.
When they go nuts they cook every piece of TTL in the box! At least add
crowbar protection.