Old September 24th 03, 12:16 AM
Mark Keith

"Bill VanAlstyne" wrote in message

Comments, please...

Bill / W5WVO

I might add...To me, the importance of using a better matching device
would depend on how long and how many elements, and also the freq.
Naturally, if I'm on VHF or UHF with a 15 el yagi, the pattern is
tight, and suppression of the common mode currents is fairly critical
to accurate steering and a good clean pattern. So I'd want to use the
T most likely.
But for smaller 3-4-5 element yagi's, I hardly see it worth the
bother. The patterns are fairly broad, and it's not a big deal to have
a small amount of current on the line. In practice, I hardly seem to
notice any problems at all here, but some do. Adding a choke of some
type will clean that up if needed.
HF? Again, hardly worth the bother. To me anyway...Add a choke if you
want to sleep better at night. Actually, my present tri-bander has a
50 ohm feedpoint, and only needs a choke or 1:1 balun. I just wind a
coax choke. MK