Old January 24th 06, 03:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Tim Shoppa

Default WWV receiver

wrote:
How about a simple one to three transistor regenative reciever.

In principle that's a great idea, but the gotcha is that very near
WWV's 10MHz frequency there are a lot of powerhouse SW broadcasters.
Here on the East Coast in the evenings, there are at least 10 SW
broadcasters each of which are 10x more powerful all within +/- 100kHz
of 10MHz, several of them within 10kHz of 10MHz.

If I fire up my regenerative receiver (my trusty old Space Spanner that
my Dad bought for me when I was in 2nd grade!) WWV 10MHz reception does
not work at all in the evenings due to those broadcasters, my
particular regen just does not deal well with all those stations packed
so tight together. The adjacent broadcasters block up the receiver or
sometimes the regen locks onto them instead!

On 5 or 15 or 20 MHz, or on the west coast, the regenerative may welll
work better. (There are SW broadcasters near 5 and 15 but not nearly so
close and not nearly so packed.)

If the OP is looking for a build-it-yourself SW receiver for picking up
the powerhouse SW broadcasters, then a regen is a fine choice. In fact
my complaint is that my regen doesn't pick up WWV because of all those
other broadcasters outgunning it here :-).

Ten-Tec and others sell really nice regenerative receiver kits for SW.

Tim.