Old January 24th 06, 05:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Bob Miller

Default Good radio listening speaker

On 24 Jan 2006 07:36:04 -0800, wrote:

I have a nice die-cast Radio Shack bookshelf speaker I bought probably
15 years ago that I use on my SW/Ham radios. It's not a perfect speaker
but it's fairly mellow, not at all tinny, and extremely durable.

I think Radio Shack sold them as outdoor/patio type speakers when I
bought them and I seem to recall the name "Minimus-7".

I go to look at Radio Shack and they don't have anything like this
anymore. They've got some really crappy plastic-tinny sounding speakers
that I don't like at all, and would probably break the first time I
looked at it funny.

What speakers are available in durable die-cast housings these days?
And I hate tinny sound (like comes out of a PC-clone speaker). I
refuse (just out of abhorrence of the sound) to look at any PC or
PC-with-amplified-subwoofer crap speakers.

Did I mention that I don't want any PC speakers, and they all sound
awful? (Hint, hint, DO NOT SUGGEST THIS OPTION!)

Tim.

Go to Bob Heil's site, the amateur radio section, and look at his
amplified speaker. Has built-in anti-noise circuitry, too.

bob
k5qwg