Old January 25th 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Lenny

Default Hints on Tuning Weak Station Next to Strong One

As the subject says, I'm looking for ways to hear the weak ones that are
getting drowned
out by the strong ones in the same frequency area.
I'm using a Kiwa modified R-75 with an Antenna Supermarket Eavesdropper
antenna.
I've tried every control on the Icom. With some stations, I can tune them
so that I can understand
the voices. Others, I'm not so lucky.
Am I at the limits of what the R-75 can do?
Are there any other mods I can make to it, within reason, to improve it?
The radio does great with pulling in hams, the utility stations I've tried,
stronger World Broadcast stations, and even some of the
weaker World Broadcast stations. But if there's a weak station next to a
stronger one, no dice.
Does it take a better receiver, such as the Drake R8B to isolate out the
weaker stations?
What is the property of the receiver that lets this happen?
Is it extremely sharp cutoffs on the filters?
Please explain?
Thanks for any light you can shed on this question.
Lenny