Old June 13th 04, 11:04 PM
Bob Bob

On my TS680/TS711 I found that you have to ground two pins on the 15 pin
ACC connector. One to mute the mic and the other to TX. The same
connector supplies fixed level audio out and direct in. To make my TS680
match the TS711 I increased the internal voltage divider values on the
inbound signal.

Depending on the software I use either a serial port RTS pin or parallel
port DATA0 for this task. I just use two transistors as switches with
suitable protection and "OR" gate etc diodes.

When I am playing wtth RDFT from a sound file player (Audacity) I use a
manual switch that ties in with the same transistors. I have dreams of
making a VOX like interface that looks at the data stream but havent got
around to it yet.It would obviously need a fast rise and fall action.

To avoid noise paths I should have used optical coupling but havent! The
VOX path should however solve this. (I have 2 audio transformers in place)

Cheers Bob VK2YQA

Ok, I want to hook up my TS-430S to my computer so I can transmit in
the digital modes. I've already received them by simply running the
headphone jack into my computer's microphone jack and that works fine,
but now that I'm KD5YRD/AE, I'm ready to try transmitting

I can certainly make a cable to hook up the speaker out to the
appropriate two pins on the microphone jack -- that's not hard at all
-- but what to do about the push to talk? What do most people do
about that?

I could enable VOX on the rig.

I could make a switch I push whenever I'm transmitting.

I could make something and hook it to the serial or parallel port that
allows the computer to do it for me, but I don't know if any of the
programs support that.

I could make a circuit that closes the PTT switch if any signifigant
signal comes from the computer.

I'm guessing that most people just enable VOX, but of course that
won't work well on any mode where it has to switch on and off rapidly.
Or will it?

Thoughts?