Old January 25th 06, 12:48 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
Professor

Default 102" whip

You don't need the spring... and the 102" is unparalleled in
performance if mounted in the proper location... but there are several
major things to consider. The first is location. To have good omni
performance... the whip must be centered on the mass of metal ground
plane. This means the center of the vehicle... in laymans terms... the
roof. That brings us to the second consideration. Do you want an
antenna that tall on you roof. It will be banging everything from trees
to overhangs at the gas station. It is most inconvienient. My personal
choice is the Wilson 1000 magnet for several reasons. It's well made...
has a good strong magnet... and is much better suited/convienient to
roof mounting. I would estimate that its performance is perhaps 80% of
the 102" whip when mounted on that location. Hope that helps.

Professor
www.telstar-electronics.com