Old August 24th 04, 11:47 PM
John McHarry

Charles Brabham wrote:

http://www.hamblog.com/blog_n5pvl.ph...1&pb=1#more223

Charles Brabham, N5PVL
Director: USPacket
http://www.uspacket.org

While the blog entry sounds like a call for tolerance, USPacket seems to be
simply an advocate for AX.25 (forgive me if I err; I have been away from
the field for a while). There are reasons and places to use other
protocols, although AX.25 on VHF appears to be a good entry point for the
newcomer.

Back in the olden days I ran an Aplink station, the only one in the DC area.
I dumped my local traffic mostly to a large local BBS that also ran HF
packet. The local head of NTS picked traffic up off both of us, and dropped
some, I think. We just quietly pooled our resources and kept our mouths
shut to the warriors. That seemed to be winning the protocol wars for us.

I'm also an engineer, and find the protocol battles, at least, useful. Any
protocol is a compromise of multiple needs. Where the channel
characteristics vary as much as they do on various amateur radio bands, and
on individual bands from time to time, it is no wonder there is heated
debate. For some of us, that is what makes it interesting.