Old January 25th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Charly

Default Sangean ATS-909 vs. Sony ICF-7600GR

Hello,

Joe Analssandrini adviced to buy Sony because of its quality and sync detector
and also because of bad experiences with Sangean radios.

I agree Joe that the Sony has the sync detector. If I had to buy a new radio
today, I possibly go for that one, or a Super 909. I "only" own a regular 909
bought in early 2002. It is now 4 years old and so far ... I'm lucky with it!

Reception is ok off the whip for me, but perhaps I should try another radio
(this is my first and only one) before giving a final note. With an external
antenna it gives very good results. I've tried so far :
- ANT-60 reel antenna (23 ft wire)
- home made coax loop (cut for 5 Mhz)
- home-made random dipole
- Kaito KA31 active antenna (same as Degen DE31)
The two last give the best results (I have to study the dipole a bit more, I
suspect it gives better results than the Kaito antenna...).

In fact for me the choice will be :

Sony sync detector vs Sangean memories and RDS

(I'm in Europe and RDS is widely used here)
It is realy a matter of personnal choice.

Else there is also Degen/Kaito 1103 and 1102 radios that are said to be good for
a much cheaper price. But this is another story.

Both the Sony and Sangean are good in my humble opinion... The fun of this hobby
begins with the radio, but then continues with antennas, a infinite field of
study and experiments :-D

But saying so will not help much NGU to decide perhaps... :-)

Charly