Old January 26th 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Frank Gilliland

Default Feeble Five Flailings

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 05:03:50 GMT, Dave Heil wrote
in et:

From: Frank Gilliland on Jan 24, 12:37 am

On 18 Jan 2006 22:49:14 -0800, wrote in
From: Dave Heil on Jan 18, 8:26 pm
wrote:

Poseurs DO have that problem..."tripping the light fantastic"
all the time.
You have a point, Leonard.
One example would be your involvement in amateur radio.
CAN'T YOU GET ANYTHING RIGHT, DAVID D#######?
Obviously NOT, judging by trotting out that old sway-backed
"involvement" nonsense. Amateurism is NOT a closed
community. There are only the close-minded individuals in
amateur radio who imagine themselves gods of radio.
Ditto. And I gotta add my two pieces of zinc:

You don't need a license to build a receiver.

...nor build a transmitter.

You don't need a license
to listen to shortwave broadcasts; or to work a CB or FRS radio; or to
get a station's card (I have hundreds); or to transmit on most of the
spectrum with very low power; or to design and build a band-specific
antenna on a tower; or to study and learn radio fundamentals; or even
to transmit from a licensed amateur station provided it is supervised
by the station's licensee. You don't need a license to be an amateur.

By Heilian Rules one MUST have an amateur radio license in
order to "qualify" (by Heil's "definition") as a amateur.

Rather than quoting anything I've written on the subject, you continue
to provide your own thoughts and act as if they're from me. To become a
radio amateur, you must pass required exams.

Wrong. To get an amateur radio license you must pass required exams.
To become a radio amateur all you need to do is be active in the
hobby. Check this out:

amateur -- n. 1. one who does something for pleasure, not for pay.
2. one who is somewhat unskillful. adj. of or done by amateurs.

I don't see anything there about a license or taking tests, do you?