Old January 27th 06, 02:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Lisa Simpson

Default Opinions/experience Radio Shack DX-394?

The shielding has eliminated the possibility of connecting the top-mounted,
screw-in type antenna, so I have to wire up an external antenna; I have a
wiring company coming in to do so in a couple weeks. Don't know how it
performs yet due to no antenna, but at least it powers up!

"HFguy" wrote in message
Lisa Simpson wrote:
I got it off ebay;

"HFguy" wrote in message

The 'B' model has better SSB performance along with some other
improvements. Where did you get the DX-394?

Lisa Simpson wrote:

nope, it's just a plain old 394 . . .

"HFguy" wrote in message

Lisa,

Does your DX-394 have the letter 'B' sticker on the back like the
following picture? It's the better version of the 394.

http://home.comcast.net/~jjfulford/ebay/dx394-004.jpg

I'm surprised the previous owner took the time to install the shielding.
I don't recall that being a recommended mod' for the DX-394. Does it
still have the original label on the rear which gives the model and
serial number? The ferrite rod antenna is mounted on the top circuit
board inside the case. This is for MW (AM) reception. The shielding must
have reduced or even eliminated the effectiveness of this antenna. How
is reception on the AM band (525-1615)?