Old September 23rd 04, 06:38 AM
Michael Black

Howard Goldstein ) writes:
On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 16:04:02 +0000 (UTC), Mike Andrews wrote:
: When you add start and/or stop bit, things get a lot easier, and
: that is the case with most serial communications: you can reset the
: character and bit-time clocks per-character. When no sync bits are
: present, you have to derive the bit timing and character timing from
: the data-bit transitions in the data stream, and things can get a bit
: iffy. Telco circuits have hardware that requires K transitions per N

For time like this ghod invented the digital PLL (DPLL). The best
discussion of the DPLL I'd ever seen was in an old (olde) Osborne &
Associates book with wonderful text and even better line graphics.

(I imagine that invoking Osborne materials shows my age)

Yes, because I can't figure in which book they'd be talking about PLLs.
Osborne books tended to be about software, and when it was hardware
it was about CPUs. I do have one Osborne book about video controller
ICs. But I don't remember there being general electronic books from
the company.

Michael VE2BVW