Old January 27th 06, 11:44 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
james

Default 102" whip

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 15:18:22 -0500, wrote:

+
+I concur. A properly mounted 102 inch whip will and should perform
+better than any loaded antenna.
+
+In theory yes. In practice it may not. A 102" stainless steel whip can
+be beat by some shorter (loaded) antennas.

****

I agree with Frank.

So far any physcally short antenna that I have modeled or experimented
with has been found to operate in a manner that is poorer than that of
the 1/4 lambda antenna. The physically shorten antennae that I have
seen that does not lack in efficiency is the tuned small transmitting
loop. This antenna is less than 1/4 lambda in circumference and
actually when tuned will be around 98% efficient. It has very low "Q"
and an extremely small VSWR bandwidth. All other physically short
antenna, less then 1/4 lambda, all have poorer efficiency and lower
VSWR bandwidth as compared to a properly installed 1/4 lambda.

james