Old January 28th 06, 09:35 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting
Chris Tarr

Default IBOC

The truth is, however, that we are NOT at a similar point in the
deployment of HD. The NRSC only ratified IBOC a few months ago.
Second, there were many more stations doing AM stereo at that point.
Whereas AM stereo only required the addition of a chip and a few extra
components, IBOC receivers require alpha-numeric displays, and other
items. Since there isn't a huge demand for the receivers yet, they are
making limited production runs. Just like DVD players, which started
at $1000, and dropped to $50 over the years, the price of HD will come
down.

One year from now, the receiver prices will be much lower. There will
also be a lot more stations running IBOC.

I find it very interesting that people continue to compare HD to AM
Stereo. The dynamics are very different, and the industry is much
different. Funny enough, HD detractors mention price as the biggest
problem. The truth is price is the smallest problem...that will fix
itself soon. Anybody launching HD is doing so with an eye to the
future, not expecting results today.