Old January 30th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
seigezunt

Default antenna newbie

Hi,

I was wondering if folk could point out any good resources about
antennas for beginners. The amount of information out there is a little
daunting.

I listen to SW and SSB mostly on a couple of portables and just got a
table top (souped-up DX-394) that I am enjoying playing with. I am a
homeowner and my "shack" is in a second-floor room, with an insulated
thin wire running out the window of an attic room connected to the room
I listen in, but not suspended, just hanging out the window. I have
about 1/3 acre of back yard with some small trees and bushes. Trying to
figure out what is possible with this location. I get some buzzing
interference, possibly from my heating system (?) when the heat starts,
and there is a tiny airport a mile or so away, too.

Thanks!

seigezunt