Old February 1st 06, 06:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Doug Smith W9WI

Default naming names - DX lids

Fabian Kurz wrote:
And so on, just a few minutes randomly picked up. It can always
happen that one sends his callsign *once* at the wrong time, for
whatever reason, but the calls I mentioned above were all heard
*several* times, so it's clear to me that they do it on purpose --
how very liddish!

Yep, a single "oops" is understandable -- when one transmits every time
the DX stops (and even sometimes when he doesn't!) it's pretty obvious
one don't know what they're doing. It's even more obvious when the DX
comes back to one and they keep calling anyway!

I am sure that one could make a list of *hundreds* of calls with
lids who do this.

Unfortunately, true.

(and with regard to the other reply, I guarantee you the same thing
happens on SSB. To be honest I usually don't even bother with
split-frequency SSB pileups as I usually can't find the guy the DX is
working to figure out where he's listening. (and calling blind on some
random frequency, hoping the DX happens to find me, is not my idea of
fun...))

(Don't have enough experience in digimodes to form an informed opinion.
I did work 5H1C on 15m RTTY just a few minutes later & didn't have any
lid problems. Though that could be because nobody realized 15 was
opengrin, the 5H was CQing his head off usually with no replies.)

People need to learn that they are much more successful DXers
when they *LISTEN* before they call! Of the above mentioned
callsigns, some have *still* not made it through the pileup at
the time of writing, although they are certainly not the weakest.

I guess I always figured there were people calling in pileups who
couldn't hear the DX. I was surprised (maybe naive?) to hear two
blatant examples in just a few minutes.

The more I think about it, the more respect I have for guys like
G3TXF, who, in spite of all the horrible lids, QRMers, etc, still
go on DXpeditions and do a great job working their pileups!

Absolutely! I do pretty well with computer-generated pileups but fear I
wouldn't be nearly as good at the real thing.

G3TXF is one of the best CW ops out there. The day he decides to hang
up his passport & stay home will be a sad day in the DX world...
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Ham stuff for sale: