Old February 1st 06, 10:39 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Saandy , 4Z5KS

Default WWV receiver

you HAVE to use a crystal oscillator. due to the nature of the tuned
resonant circuits, mistuning can change the propagation delay of the
signal through the receiver by incredible amounts. soooo, you have to
be on frequency. i think I still have some where a schematic of such a
receiver from Popular Elactronics but it may take a while for me to
find it.
Saandy 4Z5KS

Tobin Fricke wrote:
As a project to learn more about building radio receivers, I'd like to
build a WWV receiver (or maybe a receiver for the Canadian station CHU,
since it's nearby and the format sounds easier to decode). I'm looking
for suggestions for how to design such a radio, reading material, etc.

I was thinking it might be easier to design a fixed-frequency receiver
(rather than a tunable one) because I could just select the L and C in the
resonant circuit to give the right frequency. Or, since WWV is at such
"round number" frequencies, maybe I could somehow use a crystal
oscillator?

thank you,
Tobin
--