Old February 1st 06, 05:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Doug Smith W9WI

Default naming names - DX lids

N1KI wrote:
I am not sure if this is appropriate under this subject, but it may
help explain what is going on. A few weeks ago I spent an evening
when 80 meters was open to Europe listening around the lower CW
portion of the band. Several stations were CQ'ing with no callers,
but they would have an instant pile up shortly after I "spotted" them
on the clusters. I suspect many of these had called before ever
hearing the DX station.

I think you're probably right on the mark here. I suppose it's
*possible* they heard a pileup & figured they'd just join in (it did
happen in the days before packet) but that high in the band (14035) it
seems rather unlikely.

I don't blame the packet system. (heck, that's how *I* knew the 6O was
there) One would, however, think common sense would tell people even if
you do know which DX station is there, you're going to have to be able
to hear him to make a QSO!

It would be an interesting exercise... for a DXpedition to use custom
software... that issues a random code number for each QSO... and
transmits it. If you want a QSL, you have to provide the right code for
your QSO. I wonder what it would do to the QSL rate if you *had* to
copy the DX?

--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66