Old February 1st 06, 09:19 PM
de Mac de Mac is offline
Junior Member

Location: near detroit

Finally, a horizontal dipole radiates best when broadside on. Unless
it is rotateable it has weaknesses in its service area.

If I had to choose, I'd always choose a half-wave 80m vertical in
preference to a half-wave dipole.
----
Reg.[/quote]

all antennas are a trade off
no antenna is better than some other antenna at everything
what is better can be very subjective

can you make it, do you half to buy it, can you aford it,
do you have room for it, half to hide it from the neighbors,
how high can you put it up, any big trees handy for hanging wires

must your antenna work all bands from 80 to 10
or just be great on one or two bands
what band, what use, rag chew, dxing, contest, what kind of test
Cal. qso party is quite diffrent from CQ wpx

80 meter 1/2 wave vert is 130 ft high how many ops
can put up a 130 ft vertical in their back yard

store bought ground mounted multiband verticals
good ones are expensive, nearly none are close to 1/4 wave high,
and a good ground system is a must

always lusted after a high gain high tower vert
but they now sell for about 875 dollars u.s.
and
my xly is not about to let me tear up her flower gardens
to lay out a ground system

on 75/80 out to 750 miles a 1/4 wave vert
is about as good as a dummy load

good in the clear, big vertical is a great dx antenna
but if you are going to dx with it on 160, 80, or 40
you are going to half to also put up a receive antenna
verticals are horrid receive antennas on low bands
as they pick up every bit of man made qrn

20 meter ground plane feed point at 35 or 40 ft is a wonderfull dx antenna

lower bands horizontal pattern of horizontal half wave dipole
do not come in to play unless at least 1/2 wave above ground

dipole has been the most popular amateur radio antenna for over 60 years
reason
easy to make, easy to put up and keep up,
for most general purpose use work very well

which is better dipole or vertical, is a question that has no answer

best antenna is the one you have up right now

mac w8znx