Old February 1st 06, 11:15 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Jim Hackett

Default Hearing Plane Comms Question ?

Latching on to THIS reply, I would say that IF the tower was 2000 ft. up in
the sky, you would hear them...

"St. John Smythe" wrote in message
Robert11 wrote:
I can hear the planes calling Logan just fine, but never, never any

comms
from the
Tower, or the facility that hands off the planes to the Tower.
(forget what it's called; BTW: what is the proper name of ?)

Isn't the transmitted cone of the signal originating from the Tower, or

the
other facility, wide enough to encompass
the 20 miles ? How come I can hear the planes so well ?

It all has to do with line-of-sight between antennas. Someone will be
along shortly to elaborate.

--
St. John
If life is a stage, I want some better lighting.