Old February 2nd 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Al Klein

Default Hearing Plane Comms Question ?

On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 17:27:53 -0500, "Robert11"
wrote:

Live about 20 miles due west of Logan Airport (Boston)

I can hear the planes calling Logan just fine, but never, never any comms
from the
Tower, or the facility that hands off the planes to the Tower.

Isn't the transmitted cone of the signal originating from the Tower, or the
other facility, wide enough to encompass
the 20 miles ?

It is, but it's aimed upward (which is where you find airplanes).
Since you're on the ground, you're under the pattern, so you don't
hear anything.

How come I can hear the planes so well ?

Line of sight, and their antennas are aimed downward.